Friday, June 08, 2007

Conservation

One of our elephants passed away today. It was a hard day at work for all of us. It reminds me of what I'm trying to do with my living green and why I work at and in the field I do.

The zoo I work at is beautiful. The exhibits are naturalistic and every care is taken to ensure the animals' health. Most legitimate zoos, mine included, have turned from entertainment to education and conservation. The animals help people make connections and through interpretive practices (signs, docents, keeper talks, etc) learn how all things are connected--even how what they do here, affects animals far and wide.

I am thankful for the way this elephant touched people during her life. People who thought they were just coming to see a baby elephant gained a lot more.

No comments: