Friday, June 29, 2007

2 week trash results

Results:
Trash: 95 items
Recycled: 15 items
Composted: 8 items
Worm binned: 12 items

These are the results from my two week study of my trash. For the most part I didn't adjust my habits...as you can clearly tell! I really thought I did better than this. But over 3/4 of my trash goes straight to the landfill.

If you looked at my list you would find I ate a lot of string cheese and granola bars those two weeks. So there's another benefit of this experiment right there! I can now see where I"m making trash and where I can eliminate some of it. For example: I've started buying bulk trail mix in lieu of granola bars. I just put it in a glass mason jar. In fact, I think a lot more of my food is going to be bought in bulk with reused plastic bags.

I wonder how this would look if I had measured mass. A lot of the trashed items were small, like string cheese wrappers and foils from chocolate eggs. Also, went I tossed out my junk mail for the day I counted it as one item recycled. And I listed things like: veggie bits and counted them as one as I through them into the worm bin.

It's not perfect, but it opened my eyes to some changes I can do. And that's what it's about.

No comments: