Friday, April 27, 2007

Worm bin construction

I was lucky enough to find a roommate who had a worm bin already constructed, and a coworker whose worms were having way too much sex.

These instructions look very similar to what roomie built. When I got the worms from Madame Coworker, we put them in the bottom container. In the upper container we put bedding (shredded newspaper about as damp as a wrung out sponge) and a little bit of food. Eventually the worms made their way up to the upper bin through the holes in the bottom and are now happily munching away.

I haven't gotten to harvest castings yet. Except what came with Madame Coworkers stock. There are several methods, one is just to switch those two containers again and harvest once they've moved out. Another is to shove everything to one side and start putting new food on the other side...or simply take out a handful and pick the worms out.

It doesn't smell at all. I can't even believe it. It might smell a little like compost on warm days when you open it up but I like that smell. Haven't had to troubleshoot anything yet either. So we're doing well!

The only thing that annoys me is that they don't really eat the egg shells. And Roomie eats a lot of eggs.

No comments: