Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Enviro Crazy

Today I met a 7th grade girl who told me that she doesn't waste a lot of water washing dishes because she mainly uses paper plates. I was stunned to silence. We were talking about water conservation and I wasn't in a good place to take that teachable moment.

The worse part...I wasn't surprised. It fit the stereotype that I had put on her. To me she looked like the type of kid who was popular, maybe didn't do well in school even though she had potential and whose parents weren't all that involved. Those are the parents who would rather buy paper plates so they don't need to do more work.

I had my first class tonight. 3.5 hours in the same classroom. Do you know how long it was 7:30? AGES! Plus I'm fighting a cold so all I wanted to do was sleep. We are able to eat in class and I had brought an orange...after I finished I put my peal in my paper bag to take home to my worms. I almost called out to a girl looking for a trash can for her apple core but I didn't know her name. Then there was the woman with a paper plate, a paper towel and something else compostable. I might start bringing a bag for people to leave their compostables in. Only problem is my household is running seriously low on paper bags and I can't afford Biobags right now.

I'll have to figure something out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really sound like me... : )
I have the same environmental metaphysical questions: what shall I do with this ? and is this recyclable ???

But I think we're good freaks. (does that make sense ?)

Anonymous said...

My co-workers think I'm crazy because I'm always asking for their used tea bags and coffee grounds and fruit and vegetable leftovers. But who cares? My compost bin is happy.

Cave-Woman said...

Perhaps you can set up a small "compost pail" (with lid) in an area of the lunchroom, that can be taken to the compost pile at home?That's been working for us for a while.

The other benefit is we've been able to do vermiculture investigations with our class. The students LOVE finding a micro-food chain.
Next, we take the new soil and use it to plant our native plants, for the outdoor classroom. Lots of fun stuff.
I'm sure if you tell everyone your doing it for SCIENCE, they'll be on board with composting. (:

Good luck!