Tuesday, February 09, 2010

High school

The district I sub in most often is a half hour north of me. There's only one school I won't go back to because the kids are really good in every school I've been to except that one. Ok, that might be kind of a lie. There's the school I'm too embarrassed to go back to because I cried in front of everybody. I guess that makes two I won't go to.

I sub regularly for a high school physics, chemistry and algebra teacher. I have no idea why he requests me. I met him once while subbing for another teacher and he's requested me ever since even though I have never taken physics and can't remember chemistry. Algebra is fun and great but those two classes of his don't especially like me; they're mostly freshman.

Last week he asked if I would be available the 8th and 11th. I told him I would be and was surprised but pleased to be requested for the entire week. This morning I got up at 6 am, drove up there, signed in and met him in the classroom which is usual for us. What was unusual was the surprised look he gave me. There was a typo and he didn't actually need me all week after all.

I drove home in traffic since I was driving towards the city. That took twice as long as getting up there. When I got home I started to get calls for other jobs. One I would've loved: doing office work in HR! But it was starting in 15 minutes and I had already driven an hour and a half this morning.

Now I'm snuggled up in bed and not making any money.

I think I'll knit.

2 comments:

hcg said...

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really love the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also engaged! I’m sure you had joy writing this article.

Allen Fence said...

I would certainly go again and recommend it to anyone operating in this field. Job Well done.more power!!
I was talking about this blog it more of amazing and more express to other reader, nationalism holds sway. and a powerful way of writing more power to your blog. Allen Fence